Saturday, January 5, 2013

No longer expecting


We have all heard the phrase, "Don't take things for granted." Yet we all do. When the doctors confirm a pregnancy, they also give a family a date to expect their child. There are books telling us what to expect during the months of carrying a child. A pregnant mother needs to feel that having a healthy child will be granted because otherwise the worry will over take her every thought.

Wyatt was due today.  I was expecting tears of joy. I was not expecting tears full of grief. I was expecting photos I could treasure forever. I wasn't expecting those photos to be of a lifeless child.  I was expecting a day full of joy and wonder. I didn't expect this aching heart. I was expecting to get to hold him tight. I didn't expect these heavy arms. 

Even after the loss my expectations changed. I thought time would heal more quickly. I didn't expect to still feel so broken. I expected that I would have a drive to do something amazing in his honor, but all I wanted today was to rest and think. In my experience, nothing plays out the way we expect and nothing is granted. 

It's a depressing thought, but anything and everything that we hold so dearly can be snatched away in an instant. So does that mean we shouldn't love, or desire good in our lives? What good would life be to live that way? I say don't take things for granted, but instead cherish everything good around you. Hope for good, but don't stop there. Create more good. Share more love. Go above people's expectations and help support them through the times when things don't go as planned. 

So today in honor of Wyatt I created this event. Please help me honor his life in whatever way you can. Although he is gone, his influence on this world will go on.  Wyatt's Legacy Event

No comments:

Post a Comment